Why capture application transactions in real time?
Most application-aware NPM solutions provide performance visibility at the TCP level. It gives a wide-angle view that lets you know if performance degradations are driven by the network, the client, the server or the quantity of data sent back and forth. This enables IT teams to pinpoint the origin of a large-scale slowdown.
IT teams now require a more precise vision of the root cause of application failure to meet end-user expectations and to quickly identify which transactions generate errors and degrade response times.
Traditionally, these diagnostics require either a packet analysis or a log analysis, which is not only time-consuming but also involves a high level of complexity. IT teams need to access this information quickly in a format which is understandable by all teams (network, system, database and application).
Passive capture of transactions
Performance Vision captures all application transactions via traffic analysis and remains 100% non-intrusive:
- No agent (neither on the clients nor on the servers)
- No code modification or injection
- No impact on the performance rates (no workload on the servers)
- No need to have specific rights on the systems to monitor performance
Maximum visibility on application transactions
Most NPM solutions provide details about transactions through packet decode. Nevertheless, when processing a diagnostic at the application level, it is crucial not to access data at the packet level but at the application layer to view transactions in detail and observe their evolution through a sufficient period of time.
With PerformanceVision from scratch, with no packet level manipulation, you can:
- View application transactions (HTTP hits, SQL queries, etc.) and not packets, so that the data speaks to all the teams right away
- Sort the data by the number of requests, response codes, server processing time, data transfer times on the network
- Filter on specific information such as response codes or detailed queries
PerformanceVision enables you to do this on a large scope (several days or weeks of application data), which means you can manipulate big volumes of requests (several millions) within a few seconds.
PerformanceVision records all performance data 24x7, both at the network and at the application levels. This means that our performance metrics are computed in real time at both levels, and becomes available with a single click.
You don’t need to extract packet captures and insert them into a network analyser to view the application transactions contained in that traffic. A single click takes you from the network view to the application transactions inside that session.
Every transaction in detail
When performing a diagnostic, it is mandatory to access the details of similar transactions performed at different times to understand what influenced the response times (network conditions, server state, transaction criteria, etc.).
Capturing all transactions is useful, provided you can get an overview of the entire transaction performance (trend graphs, top queries, top clients, etc.) and also be able to view and filter on the details of each transaction (client, server, detailed query, response code, performance metrics, network conditions, etc.).
PerformanceVision offers one of the most complete transaction coverage on the market for real time transaction analysis. Here is an extract of the most important transaction types analysed:
- Web applications (HTTP/HTTPS)
- Databases (MS SQL, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, DB2)
- Name services (DNS, mDNS, Netbios-WINS)
- File transfer and storage (CIFS, SMB v1, v2, v3)
- VoIP (RTP, SIP, SCCP-Skinny, MGCP)
All of these transaction analysis capabilities are provided by default, with no additional option or module.